Supported by Greenhaven Road Capital, finding value off the beaten path.
On March 23, 2019, Aaron was kind enough to ask me to speak at the Going Deep Summit 2.0. I talked about careers, education, changing technology, quarter-inch holes, and what kind of tools to fill our toolboxes with. It was a treat to be included alongside Tammy Thompson, Allen Gannett, Kenny Chen, Giselle Fetterman, and Joe Vennare. When I told my daughters that people thought I was funny they asked if I was sure they were actually listening.
My own notes from the event were these:
- Conditions matter. If you live expecting that X is always true but X is only sometimes true you won’t know it.
- Good storytelling convinces people.
- People who attended the event are awesome.
- Pittsburgh is awesome. Part of the weekend was spent talking to locals about why Pittsburgh might be the perfect size.
- Starting businesses is hard but not impossible.
- Generosity is contagious.
- Creativity is not innate.
If ideas are nothing and execution is everything, this one-day event was a manifestation of the magic humans are capable of.